January 7, 2014

All Over Alabama

Well we ventured out into the below freezing weather today and went to Tuscumbia. Turns out, Alabama doesn't really know how to deal with cold weather so EVERYTHING SHUTS DOWN. Not even kidding. So here's some awesome pictures of us not going to tour Helen Keller's birthplace. She is one of my childhood heroes! I love learning about Helen Keller and it must have escaped my memory that she was born in Alabama, so it was basically a dream come true to be able to go here today :)

Inline image 1



We then decided to take a  hop, skip, and a car ride away to the NASA U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Hunstville.


We became very cultured today and we learned so much! Let's be real, as much as we love all of the spiritual things, it was kind of awesome to be able to learn some secular things today.

Let it be known, I LOVE LEARNING!

Speaking of which, I have been absolutely devouring the Book of Mormon recently. I seriously can't put the book down! It is true! And I am so grateful that I learn something new each time I read it. I have already read it so many times and am so confused why I've never noticed some of these details before! It's so cool! Read all of Helaman today and didn't want to stop for companionship study #missionaryproblems

So that's why I'm emailing so late today. Sorry familia, I know you were probably patiently waiting to get this.

In other news, transfers are this week :( I would actually prefer not to talk about it. Hermana Johnson is leaving me. It's going to be a really sad day, but such is the mission life. On to bigger and better things. Actually 4 of the missionaries here in Decatur are leaving. Elder Mayer and I will be the survivors and are super excited to welcome all the new ones! Change is in the air!

We're starting the year off with a bang. We are planning a "What Do Mormons Believe?" fireside/open house. It's going to be awesome!
Purpose:
-get the members more involved in missionary work
-increase our teaching pool
-educate Decatur about our beliefs

It's going to be BIG. We're advertising like crazy and inviting everyone. It's going to be the biggest thing in 2014 so far!
Church tour, presentation, dessert, members, investigators, community members, you name it.

SOOO! Lots of exciting things :) Still loving every minute of being a missionary!

con amor,
Hermana Blackner

No comments:

Post a Comment