October 28, 2013

"Birmingham Has My Heart"

Can I just start by saying how much I LOVE these people?! There were so many moments this week where I just couldn't even imagine life without all the new friends I've made here!

This week I realized that our teaching pool is...slim. It's not for a lack of people, it's a lack of people not answering their phones and their doors. But I guess that's what happens when you baptize all your investigators haha! I guess things fluctuate in areas so if y'all have any good finding ideas. hit me up. We did try to put an emphasis on member present lessons this week and it was awesome! Seriously, every member of the church should offer to have investigators in their home and just go out with the missionaries for a night. It makes a w.o.r.l.d. of difference! For real though. Hopefully those numbers are going to continue to go up each week.
So it's the end of the month and that means we're running low on miles which means that we have to bike which means that our bums get really sore and we don't get to teach as many people. BUT. It's also good exercise and sometimes we run into people on the street and get to talk to them. Or the sister training leaders just happen to drive by and have rice krispy treats and they gave them to us for working so hard! Yay us.
So we just happened to show up at someone's door and the Elders were already there (this happens all the time) and so we just had a big group lesson haha! Anyways, they see our bikes and are like...did you know your tire is on backwards? And then they start to look at it and then they start listing off things that are wrong with it. Awesome. So they just whip some tools out of their backpacks and start goin at it. Then they wanted to know if we were planning on ride a lot that day. Yes...haha! So then they sent out a mass text to the zone about our activity today and made sure that all sisters bring their bikes so they can fix them all up. Yes, it's all our fault haha! Thank you Elders.
We visited a really sweet lady this week. Essie P.  She has so many health problems, it's ridiculous. However, she has so much FAITH. I told her that I was so impressed with how strong she was and how she still has such a strong testimony even though she can't even go to church right now. And then she looks at me and says, "Honey, what choice do I have?"
She is determined. And she will never give up because she says she will not become some useless lump on a log so she tries to stay as active as possible. She is awesome!
So this week we went over to the Bradt's and made dinner. I love that family! We made pancakes and bacon. All the kids were so willing to help! Cameron makes the best cinnamon sugar toast. Alexsia loves bacon. Pretty sure she almost ate the whole plate. And we had some fancy hot chocolate and apple cider. Plus cake and ice cream! It was awesome. And then we played the jeopardy game I made. It seriously makes me so happy when we play it with all these kids and they know the answers. They really are paying attention and are learning the gospel :)
Probably the best day this week was wednesday when we went to the trailer park. Of course Alejandro was a big highlight. That man is rock solid. He keeps sharing these awesome testimonies with us! And today he read the whole introduction to the book of mormon in english and I read the whole thing in spanish. We're doing awesome haha! It's super fun to do this bi-lingual thing :) Then we taught Joe. Yeah, remember Joe? The very first guy I ever taught in Alabama. Well, that man is progressing. He even cleared off his porch a little bit so you can actually see the wood at the bottom. And we called him yesterday to check up on him and he actually read the book of mormon! This man has huge potential. It still makes me laugh though. I'm teaching a man who has no money, is missing teeth, and still does yard work for his ex-wife. What a crackup. But the important thing is that he has a desire to change and we are helping him get there one step at a time. We decided to just walk through the trailer park and we taught quite a few lessons. I was just talking to everyone! And it was freezing cold, but I felt super accomplished. There is definitely a lot of potential in there and on the plus side, it's like a mini mexico :)
Well, my companions are learning slowly but surely that e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e. loves to make fun of Hermana Blackner. I don't even have to say a word and someone finds something to say about me or how my companion needs to keep me in line. Sometimes it gets a little bit ridiculous, but it does add some humor to our day I guess. I'll just take the fall for the amusement of my companions, how does that sound?
The trunk or treat SOOO great! It's been a while since I've been to one but I loved it. The kids were absolutely adorable! Oh my cuteness. You can bet that I was taking pictures galore. The youth set up this haunted maze. They made me go through it and I was terrified. Seriously. Screaming the whole way through. I don't do scary things haha! The best part must have been the Armstrongs though. Guess who they dressed up as...Elder Oslapas and Hermana Wong. My companion came back!!! haha! And Bishop loves my signature "hands on hips" in pictures so he thought he would try it out as well.
We taught Lawrence this week about the priesthood and about the strength of youth pamphlet. It went so well! I was with Hermana Isaak and I'm pretty sure we would be dynamite companions. Also we had a mom and son in our ward there and they bore these awesome testimonies. Unfortunately Lawrence didn't make it to church but it'll happen when it's supposed to.
Sorry this email is so late. We had an awesome zone activity today. P-day clothes all day was fantastic and I got to play some basketball. It was a quality day. And then we went to visit Sister Grant. She says, "Don't be discouraged when someone doesn't answer a door. It's Heavenly Father's way of letting you know you're not supposed to be there." I will definitely be keeping that in mind!
Happy Halloween and make it a great week :) I love you all!

~Hermana Blackner




No comments:

Post a Comment