November 11, 2013

"Happy Fall Y'all"

Happy Fall Y'all!
That's my favorite line of the week :)
aaannndddd.....HAPPY VETERAN'S DAY! Everyone l.o.v.e.s. their country down here in the South. 

This week I feel like I got to see it all. Baptism, zone training, appointments that fell through, the ghetto, ministers, old people, young people, awesome progression, baptismal dates, cold and warm weather. It was a good one. 

Over and over and over again I am reminded at how much the gospel blesses lives. Robert got baptized this weekend and even though he wasn't even my convert, it may have been one of the most exciting days of my mission!!! We've been waiting for this day for a long time! And yesterday, he got the priesthood and a temple recommend. so unreal. I am beyond excited for him and his future! As I told him...this is only the beginning. 
People can change. The atonement is real. And ordinances done through the priesthood help us to return to our Father in Heaven. Amen. 

The holiday season is upon us. We went to a shopping center to go contacting this week and every department store had all their Christmas decorations up and some even had Christmas music playing in the background. #waytooearly 
Let us at least enjoy Thanksgiving for a while. GRATITUDE is an important virtue.
BUT. I'm excited for all the festivities because it gives us all the more reason to talk about our Savior, Jesus Christ.

We had an awesome zone training this week. By far, one of the best we've had. We moved around to different rooms in the church for each topic that we discussed. One of the coolest things was about relying on the spirit and testifying about what you do know and how it's ok to say "I don't know" sometimes. Just what I had been praying for and wanting to have some direction in. And it came into good use this week. 

We were teaching Carol and we actually saw her a day later than we were planning on because she was sick. So we go over and she's telling us all about how she has no money and how she's been pawning things and looking for a job. And how stressful it is to try and come up with money and budget and everything else. I just sat there feeling awful! And then all of a sudden it came to me that the owners of our apartment complex had just told us that morning that they were looking for a manager/cleaning lady and other workers who were bilingual and that we could send anyone to the office that was looking for a job. 
It was like an aha! moment. We then got to talk about how the spirit brings things to our remembrance and how the Lord really is in the details of our lives and that if we would've come yesterday we wouldn't have known about the job offer and how things just work out how they are supposed to. How awesome right?
Our ability to listen to the spirit can always be improved, but I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to have the spirit prompt me and how I was able to bless someone else's life. 

I went on an exchange this week with Sister Isaak. We had a blast! One thing I love about being a missionary is all the amazing new friends I've made. We immediately hit it off and enjoyed the whole day talking each other's ears off and teaching the gospel. Things just flowed. We were able to testify, the spirit was present, there was unity, and we had FUN. I learned so much from her and I felt like I was being successful. My strengths were able to shine through and we were able to help each other grow closer to our Savior. My faith was definitely strengthened by her. I was reminded of how much people sacrifice to serve a mission. And how there are people who have these incredible stories and motives and situations that they are dealing with in the personal lives, but they put it all aside to serve the Lord and just trust that he will take care of it all. What a blessing to come in contact with such people and to have them influence my life if only for a day. 

The school teacher came out in me this week as we taught the J's. We talked about Heavenly Father's creations and all that he has blessed us with. Then we made butterflies out of celery, peanut butter, chips, and pretzels. It was a quality activity and Sarah LOVED it! She also told us how much she loves Heavenly Father and church. She really does take it all in and it's so fun to watch her learn. We then read some stories out of her bible storybook and did some coloring. It was the best! 
I told Serena that we missed them at church on Sunday and she said that David has agreed to go to church with them!!!! My heart leaped inside of me for just a minute. And then she continued...as long as it's not the mormon church. Awesome. Well, that made things real awkward. But it's ok, because he's coming around and he's definitely getting baptized someday. It's been a long journey, but there is so much hope for that little family. 

Well, I've been working on this email for way too long so I will close. I know that we are all children of our Heavenly Father and that he has so much in store for us. As we live the gospel and continue to strengthen our faith, we will be happy :) 

Have a great week!
con amor, 
Hermana Blackner

No comments:

Post a Comment